Monday, March 21, 2011

My Dad's Birthday Party!

We celebrated my dad's birthday on Sunday. My grandparents came over and we ate a good home cooked meal of potatas and chili. It is always fun to get the family together and catch up.

I love my dad so much and am so blessed to have had him as a dad growing up! He is the happiest, funniest, funnest, and coolest guy I know. He has always been so nurturing and kind to me. I remember whenever I was sick he would run to the store and buy me medicine, sprite, Popsicles, you name it. He made breakfast for us every morning in high school and would bring it to us in bed! Who does that? When I was in third grade, I found out I had horrible eyes, and my dad didn't want me to have to wear glasses like he did, so he got me contacts. But because I was so young, I couldn't put them in by myself so he would put them in for me every single morning. In the summer, he would go to work in the morning and let me sleep in, and when I woke up he would drive home and put them in for me. On Saturdays, he would get us up and let us invite any friends we wanted to have come, and would take us on the Saturday Rounds, as we would call it. This consisted of movies, picnics, pet stores, ice skating, Burger King French toast sticks and many other fun things. It was a child's heaven, and we got to be with my fun dad the whole time. My grandma has told me this story before, when I was born my dad was holding me in the hospital and he looked up at my grandma (his mom) and said, "Look mom, she is mine!" I am thankful that I get to be his. He has an amazing way of showing his love for us! Now that I am older, I can see all the sacrifices he has made for us and that my mom has made for us and when I was young I didn't realize the magnitude of everything. When you get older you realize it, so I am so thankful for everything they did for us and continue to do for us!
Now that I am older, I love having conversations with him, my dad is a deep thinker and I truly value his opinion. He is a smart man. I know if I ever needed anything, he would come in a second, same with my mom. I can't wait to have my babies go with him on Saturday Rounds and get to be my dad's grandchildren. Just yesterday he brought Rache and I into the kitchen and told us he bought us food from Costco. He handed each of us a big thing of apple juice, a gallon of milk, and a big package of turkey. How nice is that? I love that he is always thinking of us. I love knowing that I could call my dad at any time and say, "Let's go to dinner, or let's go party dad", and he would be down to go. I have always been so proud to have my friend meet my dad because he is so friendly and so fun. I always felt pretty dang lucky to introduce him to people. Wren loves him so much too and is so much like him. I am so grateful for my dad. Because of him I had high expectations for what kind of man I wanted in my life and I spotted this kindness in Wren.

I am so blessed to have my dad as MY DAD. I love those two words more than anyone will ever know. MY DAD!
Birthday Slick!
Happy Birthday DAD!

No comments: